File a Complaint

We welcome complaints from anyone who experiences a problem or has a concern with a charitable or nonprofit organization or a professional fundraiser for a charity or nonprofit. Complaints from members of the public help us to identify potential violations of Minnesota law and new issues occurring in the charity and nonprofit sectors.

If you would like to file a complaint about a charity, nonprofit, or professional fundraiser, please complete the Charity/Nonprofit Report Form by following these steps:

STEP 1: Access the Charity/Nonprofit Report form.

Please download our Charity/Nonprofit Report Form. After you click this link, the form will download to your computer, and Adobe Reader will open it on your screen. You must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer in order to view the form. If you do not have Adobe Reader installed on your computer, you can download it for free at: You may also call our Office at (651) 296-3353 (Twin Cities Calling Area) or (800) 657-3787 (Outside the Twin Cities), and we will mail a Charity/Nonprofit Report Form to you.

STEP 2: Complete the form.

Please fill out the Charity/Nonprofit Report Form carefully and provide as much information as possible. If you prefer, you may use your computer keyboard to type information into each of the fields on the form (the tab key will let you navigate from field to field), then print out the completed form. Otherwise, you may print out a blank form and handwrite your information into each of the fields. Attach copies of any necessary documents, such as solicitations you received in the mail, emails, bills, invoices, contracts, canceled checks, correspondence, or advertisements. Please do not send us your original documents.

STEP 3: Sign your name.

All complaints require a written signature.

STEP 4: Mail the form to us.

Mail the completed and signed Charity/Nonprofit Report Form (and any documents) to our Office at the following address

Office of Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison
445 Minnesota Street, Suite 1400
St. Paul, MN 55101
(651) 296-3353 (Twin Cities Calling Area)
(800) 657-3787 (Outside the Twin Cities)
(800) 627-3529 (Minnesota Relay)

STEP 5: Our Response.

Our Office will respond to you as quickly as we can after we receive your information. In some cases, we may assist you by locating other government agencies that can best address the problem.